Must see in Greenough
Central Greenough Historic Settlement
Cnr Brand Hwy & McCartney Rd
The Leaning Tree
20km South of Geraldton and
2 Km North of the Central Greenough Historical Settlement on the Brand Hwy
Alinta Wind Farm
Although widely known as a Gas company, Alinta has a Wind Farm in Greenough which provides clean energy from 54 of the worlds largest wind turbines.
Each of these wind turbines towers almost 80 metres above the Greenough farming landscape with three blades stretching 41 metres. At full capacity, the Alinta Wind Farm can generate 90 megawatts of electricity which is enough to supply about 60,000 homes.
Giant Gums and rocky gorge surround the pool. Toilet and barbecue facilities are on offer and camping is $10 per night and limited to three days. An honesty box has been provided. Ellendale Pool is about 45km south of Geraldton on Ellendale Road, via Walkaway. The last 100m of road are dirt but are suitable for 2WD vehicles and caravans.
Recently restored from the flood of 1998 and re-opened March 2010.
The original wood used by convicts to build the bridge was recovered, re- crafted by Max Royce Woodwork's and is on display at the entrance to Wainwright's Store at Central Greenough Cafe & Visitor Centre
Old Pioneer Cemetery
The first recorded burial was in 1853 and since then many of the regions pioneers have been buried here. Amongst these are : the Clarkson brothers, cattle drovers of the 1870s who were found dead at Hooleys Well, one having perished and one speared by natives. Mrs Anne Connolly who was the first woman to take up land on the Front Flats in her own right. A young man named Walters who was shot at Ellendale, believed to be the first murder in the region. Between 1853 and 1957 more than 1000 burials were registered in the region. Further historical details of the region can be obtained at the Walkaway Station museum.